Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Assertive Discipline

A new student has arrived in your classroom. Although it's only the student's first day in your room, you get the feeling that he "is going to be a handful." He seems disinterested in what you have to say, and has already disrupted surrounding students by visiting. What aspects of Assertive Discipline could you utilize to assist with promoting a feeling of trust with this student? Do you think it would benefit the student if you spent some one-on-one time with him? What types of questions would you ask, what type of information might you share? What might be a strategy you could use to increase the trust and, therefore, support between this student's family and yourself? Summarize your ideas in a short narrative.

As an assertive teacher, I would be welcoming and respectful, as well as clear and concise in my expectations and procedures. I would immediately spend one on one time together to help build a relationship of trust. First, I would acknowledge how difficult it must be to be the new student in our class. I would ask him open ended questions in an effort to better understand his point of view and current life situation. I would ask about his interests and important events in his life. In turn, I would give him a brief professional and personal biography such as how many years I’ve been teaching and what fun activities my students most look forward to in the year.

Next, I would review my expectations of the class and of his part in building our team. I would intentionally invite him to join our class of learning by reviewing procedures both in writing and in person. I would have a peer give him a guided tour of the room. Assigning a buddy helps the student learn about the environment around him, as well as give the students an opportunity to become acquainted. After the tour, I would give the new student an assignment to draw a map of the room, detailing important locations such as where his belongings are to be stored, where homework is to be turned in, where bell work is kept, where supplies are stored, and where policies and procedures are posted. At the end of the process, I would check for understanding of my classroom procedures and expectations.

I would also set up a teacher/parent/student conference. In a non-threatening manner, I would approach this meeting with a clear purpose. I would prepare to listen carefully and take notes to help involve all parties. At this meeting, I would review my classroom brochure, which would include information about classroom rules, the rewards and consequences for following or not following the rules, and other expectations such as homework, calendar tracking, and grades. 
In addition to educating the new student and his parents to my procedures and expectations, I would daily employ disciplinary techniques in hierarchical order, beginning with preventative and supportive discipline, such as meaning business, non-verbal cues, and mobility and proximity. 

I would also use many of Fred Jones’ discipline management ideas such as limit setting and responsibility training. Limit setting is remaining calm and using body language to communicate to students that you mean business. Jones describes in great detail how to communicate through actions such as moving in and out, lingering, camping out and using palms. When in doubt, he suggests taking two breaths and giving a withered look of boredom. As to responsibility training, it is a reward incentive program that helps provide students with the needed motivation to work to the best of their ability. This reward incentive program is called Preferred Activity Training (P.A.T.). Jones goes into great detail about how to also best use this layer of discipline management in conjunction with the rest. 

If the student continues to act out, I would enforce corrective discipline which might include public time outs, in or out of class. I would consistently enforce consequences up to and including daily signed behavioral contracts. If small and medium discipline management techniques fail, I would use a back-up system and involve another professional adult. 

No comments:

Post a Comment