Sunday, March 8, 2015

Virtual Field Experience

CD Virtual Field Experience (Intermediate)

Was there anything new to you?

One classroom management technique that was new to me, and that I would like to use and incorporate in my teaching, involved peer tutoring. During instruction, the teacher asked a question that had a specific answer. When only half the class raised their hands to answer the question, she instructed those who had their hands up, to whisper their answer to a fellow student, who did not have his or her hand up. After the whispered exchange, the teacher then addressed the whole class. She repeated the initial question and asked for a group answer in response. The class gave the correct answer in unison. The teacher then praised the class, “I knew you could get it.”  

Was there an “ah-ha” in this section?

Because I have not had much experience with working with English Language Learners or students with special needs, I was interested in hearing the teacher’s recommendations. I’m not sure it was an “ah-ha” moment, but I was surprised to learn that her methods were similar to what I use in the arts. She recommended using hands-on activities where students would internalize concepts. For example, when teaching fractions, she had Special Education Students cut up their own fraction kits, rather than giving them one already cut up and completed. She said that her ELL and Special Education Students learned better by manipulating and exploring concrete materials on their own first. Much of my current arts curriculum involves a lot of kinesthetic learning activities.


What information are you going to take for your current/future students?

When the teacher was asked how she maintains a calm climate in her classroom, she referred to a book called “Miss. Nelson is Missing.” The teacher said she reads the book to her class on the first day because it helps explain how reciprocity works, when it comes to respect between a teacher and her students. I found the book by Harry Allard and James Marshall, read it, and literally added it to my teacher knapsack. The book teaches students what respect looks like, as embodied by Miss. Nelson, and what it doesn’t look like, as embodied by the villainous substitute, Viola Swamp. Plus, I love James Marshall’s illustrations (in all his books). I plan on reading it to my students currently and in the future.

How is the teacher dressed? Is she dressed for success as according to Wong?


The teacher was dressed for success as according to Wong. She was well groomed and not excessive in her jewelry or make-up. She wore neat, clean and tailored clothes that positively communicated that she cared about herself and her profession. She dressed in a manner, that according to Wong, would help give her respect, credibility, acceptance and authority.

No comments:

Post a Comment