Sunday, March 8, 2015

Parent Teacher Conferences

You have decided to hold a conference regarding a student’s academic and behavioral challenges. Although this student often contributes to classroom discussion, she often disrupts the learning of others, and does incomplete work.
Summarize how you might set up this conference.

My first choice would be to telephone the student’s parents to set up the conference. Because a parent teacher conference involves communicating in a formal setting, I would extend that invitation in a method as personal as possible, which I believe would be a direct phone call. I would follow up this invitation with an email.

In this invitation, I would briefly explain the purpose. I would say that while their child is making progress, I would like to discuss a couple of areas of improvement that would help make her progress even greater. I would explain that the conference would take approximately 20 minutes. I would also have a couple of dates and times available for the parents to choose from.

What statement might you use to begin the conference?

I would begin by thanking the parents for coming to the conference. It shows they care about their child’s education. I would follow that statement by building on common ground. I would say that I, too, see great potential in their child, and that if, by giving a couple of areas of improvement some attention, their child would become an even better student.

Describe any written or oral communication strategies you might use to assist with the conference.

I would prepare a printed agenda and outline to be shared with the parents once they arrive. It would include specific examples of their child’s academic and behavioral challenges, both positive and negative. I would review her positive contributions to classroom discussion. I would also review her classroom disruptions and her incomplete work assignments. 

If the parents respond with concerns, I would not proceed with solutions, until we achieved better understanding. If the parents are still resistant to my areas of improvement, I would continue to seek for understanding and probe for clarification. Once we have achieved a common understanding, I would proceed with solutions. Depending on time lapsed, I may have to adjust accordingly and prolong the conference or set up a follow-up conference.

If time allows, I would proceed directly to the solutions. The solutions might include having all parties (teacher, student and parents) sign an academic and behavioral contract to check for understanding of my procedures and rules. In order for the student to take responsibility for her choices, she needs to understand what rules she is breaking and what those consequences would be.

What might you do following the conference to keep this student “on track?”

At a minimum, because the student has signed a contract agreeing to rule and procedure compliance, if and when an infraction occurs, I would require the student to identify what rule she broke and why. I would further require the student to write up the infraction for parent signature. The ultimate goal would be for a discussion and commitment to realign herself with class rules so that it won’t happen again.

I would also require the student to chart her own daily progress. She would chart her daily behavior in class as well as completed work. At the end of the day, the student and I would have a conversation as to where she stood that day in both areas. I would sign off on both areas of improvement. I would set a goal of charting for three weeks before reassessment. If limited progress is made, a new plan of action would need to be discussed and implemented. After three weeks of successful compliance, a new goal would be set.

For those who need a good laugh about PTC, check out this 4 minute satirical video.

No comments:

Post a Comment