Sunday, February 1, 2015

EDU276 S.T.E.A.M. Invitational Education

Lesson 2

S.T.E.A.M. Assignment 1

A student new to my classroom appears to lack motivation to accomplish work. He missed the experience of learning classroom procedures and the emphasis on content learning I set up the first week of class. 

What immediate procedures would be beneficial for him to learn for success in my class?

First, I would check for understanding. I would fully explain, even model and demonstrate, my procedures in detail and in person. Myself and fellow students could help the new student literally walk through our classroom procedures. I would positively reinforce the student’s correct response through acknowledgement, praise and smiles. I would endeavor to reteach the procedures until the new student correctly understands and follows instructions.

Next, I would be direct in my communication as to what I expect and want in both writing and in person. I would write a letter to the student himself and his parents or guardian. The letter would serve to welcome the student to my class. Like Theodore Roosevelt, I too believe, no student cares how much a teacher knows until they know how much you care. I would let the student know I’m glad he’s in my class, and that I’m looking forward to a great year with him. I would also briefly introduce myself and my background. Most importantly, the letter would outline our classroom goals and procedures. I would explain what procedures are and why we have them. I would specifically list each of my classroom procedures, and I would review this list in person.


I would schedule time for the new student and his parents to sit with me in our classroom to review the letter together. The student would read the letter aloud, while we stopped and talked about points along the way. The purpose of the visit would be to ensure that both my student and his parents were on the same page. Besides being welcoming, I would want the student and his parents to be aware of my expectations, as well as understand my classroom procedures. The procedures would need to be clear and direct. I would allow time to discuss and review the letter together. I could immediately address any questions, concerns or discrepancies. I would work toward unified understanding of and agreement to my procedures and expectations.

How can I further invite him to achieve in the class by providing him the time to learn the procedures and experience the content focus of the classroom?

I believe in positive expectations and self fulfilling prophecies. I hope that by expecting my student to perform to his best, academically and behaviorally, he will rise to the occasion. A person, intuitively, knows when another person believes in them. It can be implied and unspoken through attitude, body language and personality. 

In Harry K. Wong’s book, The First Days of School, he writes, “Teacher expectations and student achievement research has been known for more than 50 years. It states that teacher expectations play a significant role in determining how well and how much students learn…For instance, on latency or wait-time, teachers often give high-achieving students more time to respond or perform than the time given to low achieving students.” There are tangible benefits to a pre-disposed belief of student success.

Additionally, I believe it would help the new student to see his classmates held to the same standard. In short, I would strive to keep the entire class on task, where there is relatively little wasted time and minimal confusion or disruption. I would accomplish this in part through preparation, organization, readiness and practice.

What inviting personal behaviors can I use to further invite him to achieve?

Personal deportment and conduct can go a long way in building a relationship of trust. Intentionally inviting personal behaviors can be both verbal and non-verbal. Body language can be as powerful as the spoken word, if not more. Below are listed some key invitations I could use with this student to further help him to achieve.

Verbal and Non-Verbal Invitations to Learn
  • Say the student’s name with dignity and respect. Never to demean or humiliate.
  • Begin requests with, “Will you, please…?”
  • End requests and tasks with, “Thank you.”
  • Acknowledge thanks with, “Your welcome,” or “My pleasure.”
  • Genuinely smile
  • Be kind and show caring and warmth
  • Be a good listener and stay focused on the student
  • Refrain from crossing my arms in frustration or anger
  • Refrain from loud sighs of frustration
  • Use a firm but calm tone of voice
  • Be polite and use good manners such
  • Praise good behavior verbally as well as with high fives and thumbs up 
  • Use the proper emotion at the appropriate time

Mr. Wong further writes in his book, "We have identified the single most important factor that governs student learning. In a study reviewing 11,000 pieces of research that spanned 50 years, three researchers determined that there are 28 factors that influence student learning and placed them in rank order. The most important factor governing student learning is Classroom Management...The least important factor is the demographics of the student body. That is, race, skin color, gender, national and religious background, and the financial status of the family are the least important factors that determine student achievement." The second highest factor was the instructional/learning process. The third was parental and home support. 

No comments:

Post a Comment